Yeah, I know I’m not the first one to suggest this, but I think I’m the only one who’s not a die-hard Trekkie/Trekker/Whatever-they-call-themselves-these-days!
I was explaining to my son my theory on why William Shatner is now hosting a game show, which can be summed up with: “Hey, I haven’t done that before!”
Recounting each of his career moves, I realized there was a common theme: critically panned, but sold like hotcakes. Until Boston Legal, that is, which earned him the coveted Emmy. I think it’s because he’s got no fear, and just doesn’t give a dang what people think of him.
It seems to me that’s what we need in a president in 2008.
Shatner for President in 2008!
Now, what kind of campaign promises would Shatner make? I have a few ideas:
- Paid time off to watch Boston Legal
- “Performance” of Mr. Tambourine Man to replace Pledge of Allegiance
- Courts required to accept “Live Long and Prosper” for swearing-in
- Constitutional amendment requiring schools to acknowledge SciFi as legitimate literature
- Free plans for a working phaser with every tax return audited by the IRS
- Eliminate presidential natural-born citizen requirement for him and his running mate, Schwarzenegger
- First fireside chat, Shatner will demonstrate the TJ Hooker over-the-car-hood slide without hurting himself
- Congress can Show Us The Money for a change!
- A Vulcan sex slave in every home